Archibald Peters October 26, 2022 Recipes
• 1 tbs extra virgin olive oil
• 50g unsalted butter
• 1 small onion, finely chopped
• 300g arborio rice
• 200ml dry white wine
• 4 cups (1L) chicken stock, warmed
• 2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
• 125g Comté, grated
• 1 cup (80g) finely grated pecorino
• 100g Le Dauphine cheese, chopped (substitute triple cream brie)
• 200g mozzarella, grated
• ½ cup (75g) plain flour
• 4 eggs, beaten
• 2 cups (200g) dried breadcrumbs
• Vegetable oil, to deep-fry
Parsley Mojo Verde:
• 1 bunch flat-leaf parsley, leaves and stems roughly chopped
• ½ bunch fresh oregano, leaves picked
• 1 garlic clove, roughly chopped
• 1 tsp cumin seeds, toasted
• 2 tbs apple cider vinegar
• ½ cup (125ml) extra virgin olive oil
Makes 45 (APPROX.)
1. Place olive oil and butter in a large saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and cook, stirring, for 3 minutes or until softened. Add rice and cook for 1 minute, stirring to coat the grains, then add wine and simmer for 1-2 minutes or until almost evaporated. Add warm stock, one ladleful at a time, stirring constantly and making sure all stock is absorbed before adding the next ladleful, until all stock is used and rice is al dente. This will take about 18-20 minutes. With the final ladleful, stir through the pepper and cheeses and season with salt flakes. Spread rice mixture over a tray and cool slightly, then chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
2. Meanwhile, for the parsley mojo verde, place all ingredients in a blender and whiz until smooth. Season and set aside.
3. Place flour, egg and breadcrumbs in three separate bowls. Roll 1 tbs-sized portions of rice mixture into balls (you should make approximately 45 balls). Roll each ball first in flour, then egg, then coat in breadcrumbs. Chill for at least 1 hour or until firm.
4. Half-fill a deep-fryer or large saucepan with vegetable oil and heat to 180°C (a cube of bread will turn golden in 45 seconds). Working in batches, fry arancini for 3-4 minutes until golden. Drain on paper towel. Keep warm in a low oven, then serve with the mojo verde.